This page provides information for retrenched workers on the support and services available in the Northern Territory
Services for retrenched workers
Services Australia – Centrelink
For support while you look for work visit the retrenched workers website.
For a list of Centrelink Customer Service Centres in the Northern Territory, visit the service finder website.
If you have lost your job you could be eligible to receive help from jobactive. jobactive is the Australian Government’s employment service, designed to meet the needs of job seekers and employers and improve job outcomes.
jobactive can provide you with tailored help to find a job and is delivered by jobactive providers located around Australia. The help available includes:
- help looking for work, writing a résumé and preparing for interviews
- referrals to jobs in your local area
- training that is suited to the skills that local employers need
- case management so that you are ready to take up and keep a job.
Your jobactive provider can also provide access to resources to help with your job search including the internet, printers and newspapers.
To view a factsheet on the support available for retrenched workers, visit the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.
For more information, including a full listing of providers in your area:
- Call the Employment Services Information Line on 13 62 68
- Visit the Jobsearch website
Employment Facilitators are an on-the-ground presence that work with retrenched workers to connect them with job opportunities, training and other existing services.
For more information, visit the Employment Facilitators website or contact the facilitators to find out how they can help you.
- The Darwin and Alice Springs Interim Employment Facilitator, Olivia Webbe can be contacted at Olivia.Webbe@dese.gov.au
Financial Counselling Australia
Financial Counselling Australia can link you to financial counsellors in your area.
- Call: 1800 007 007
- Visit the Financial Counselling Australia website to find your local counsellor.
Centrelink provides a free Financial Information Service with no restrictions on eligibility.
- Call 13 23 00 and say “Financial Information Service”
- Visit the financial information page on the Centrelink website.
MoneySmart offers tips and tools to help make the most of your finances, including how to manage your money, or deal with credit, debt or other financial issues.
- Call: 1300 300 630
- Visit the MoneySmart website
Computer and general work skills
Language, literacy and numeracy support
The Reading Writing Hotline is Australia’s national telephone adult literacy and numeracy referral service and provides support for students.
- Call: 1300 655 506
- Visit the Reading Writing Hotline website
Many vocational education and training providers also provide bridging courses to support students with their language and literacy skills. For more information visit the My Skills website.
Adult and Community Education
Adult and Community Education providers in your area can help you improve your reading, writing and numeracy skills. You can learn with other adults in small groups, or even get one-on-one coaching. Adult and Community Education programmes are usually free or low cost. They also offer programmes to help you improve your computer and other workplace skills.
For further information:
- Call: 08 8999 5659
- Email: email@example.com
Computer and internet training
To learn how to use the internet you may like to visit your local council or library who may offer training opportunities.
Adult Learning Australia can link you to training providers in your area.
- Call: 03 9689 8623
- Visit the Adult Learning Australia website
Health, wellbeing and personal support services
Relationships Australia (NT)
Relationships Australia (NT) provides relationship support services for individuals, families and communities in the Northern Territory.
- Call: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
- Visit the Relationships Australia website
There are two Family Relationships Centres in the Northern Territory:
Family Relationships Centre Darwin
Level Ground Floor
43 Cavenagh Street
Darwin, NT 0800
Open 8.30am to 5.00pm weekdays
Phone: 08 8923 1400 or 1800 650 276 (toll free)
Family Relationship Centre Darwin - Alice Springs satellite site
5 Parsons Street
Alice Springs, NT 0870
Open 8.00am to 4.30pm weekdays
Phone: 08 8950 4100 or 1800 634 405 (toll free)
beyondblue provides information and a referral service for those who may be experiencing depression, anxiety or substance abuse.
- Call: 1300 224 636
- Visit the BeyondBlue website
- Visit the resources for men page on the BeyondBlue website for information specific to male retrenched workers.
Lifeline is a free, confidential telephone helpline that provides crisis counselling and offers support regarding mental health and wellbeing.
- Call: 13 11 14 (24 hours a day)
- Visit the Lifeline website
MensLine Australia is a professional telephone and online support and information service for Australian men.
- Call: 1300 78 99 78 (24 hours a day)
- Visit the MensLine website
MindSpot is an online and telephone clinic providing free assessment and treatment services for Australian adults with anxiety or depression.
- Call: 1800 614 434
- Visit the MindSpot website
MoodGYM is an interactive web programme designed to help prevent depression. It consists of five modules, an interactive game, anxiety and depression assessments, downloadable relaxation audio, a workbook and feedback assessment.
- Visit the MoodGYM website
The Black Dog Institute
The Black Dog Institute is a not-for-profit organisation focusing on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder.
- A Mindfulness in Everyday Life handout is available in the Mindfulness section of the Wellbeing page on the Black Dog Institute website
- A Positive Psychology fact sheet is available in the Positive psychology section of the Depression Treatment page on the Black Dog Institute website.
The National Gambling Helpline
The National Gambling Helpline can help you with problem gambling.
- Call: 1800 858 858 (24 hours a day)
- Visit the National Gambling Helpline website
Quitline is a confidential free telephone service for people who want to quit smoking.
- Call: 13 78 48
- Visit the Quitline website
For online healthy living tips and advice on getting and staying active in the NT visit:
Support for children and young people
Kids Helpline provides a free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25.
- Call: 1800 55 1800
- Visit the Kids Helpline website
Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation for 12 to 25 year olds. Headspace provides information and support for young people, as well as parents and carers who are concerned about their children.