Losing your job can be a difficult experience with many issues to consider. This page provides information for retrenched workers on the support and services available to them.
Services for retrenched workers
Services Australia – Centrelink
For support while you look for work, visit the retrenched workers website.
For a list of Centrelink Customer Service Centres in your area, visit the Payment and Service Finder website.
All retrenched workers and their partners have immediate access to tailored employment services before becoming eligible for income support. jobactive can provide you with tailored help to find a job and is delivered by jobactive providers located around Australia.
The help available includes:
- help looking for work, writing a resume and preparing for interviews
- referrals to jobs in your local area
- training that is suited to the skills that local employers need
- case management so that you are ready to take up and keep a job
For more information on the services available through jobactive and to find your local provider, go to jobactive.gov.au
To view a factsheet on the support available for retrenched workers, visit the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.
For more information, including a full listing of jobactive providers in your area:
Employment Facilitators are an on-the-ground presence that work with retrenched workers to connect them with job opportunities, training and other existing services.
For more information visit the Employment Facilitators website or contact an Employment Facilitator in your area to find out how they can help you.
- The Illawarra South Coast Employment Facilitator, Andrew Wales can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0497 832 330.
- The Hunter Employment Facilitator, Karla Notman can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0466 606 467.
- The New England and North West Employment Facilitator, Bronwyn Pearson can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0412 400 206.
- The Mid North Coast Janine Culnane can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0409 580 741.
- The North Coast Peter Skorupanovic can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0490 433 230.
- The Sydney Greater West Interim Employment Facilitator, Lisa Lillis can be contacted at Lisa.Lillis@dese.gov.au.
- The Sydney South West Employment Facilitator, Joudy Lazkany can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0431 170 463.
- The Gippsland Employment Facilitator, Luke Arber can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0439 713 482.
- The Western Melbourne Employment Facilitator, Terry Kennedy can be contacted at email@example.com or 0408332868.
- The Inner Metropolitan Melbourne Employment Facilitator, Melissa Kalemis can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0409 258 478.
- The North Western Melbourne Employment Facilitator, Tony Coppola can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0411 440 575.
- The South Eastern Melbourne and Peninsula Employment Facilitator, Darrell Hewton can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0421 097 537.
- The Cairns Employment Facilitator, Tamilyn Brennan can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0409 763 507.
- The Wide Bay and Sunshine Coast Employment Facilitator, Austin Ryann can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0466 669 934.
- The Townsville Employment Facilitator, Steve Fraser can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0409 633 668.
- The Wivenhoe Employment Facilitator, John Perry can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0418 719 795.
- The Gold Coast Employment Facilitator, Jodi Brackenbury can be contacted at Jodi.Brackenbury@acsl.org.au or on 0474 774 007.
- The Murray and South East Employment Facilitator, Christine Willersdorf, can be contacted at Christine.Willersdorf@employmentfacilitator.com.au or on .0436 647 305.
- The North West Country Employment Facilitator, Lisa Brock, can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0449 671 183.
- The Adelaide North Employment Facilitator, Paul Williams can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0429 262 522 .
- The Perth South Employment Facilitator, Caroline Marshall can be contacted at email@example.com or on 0450 223 969 .
- The South West WA Employment Facilitator, Maryanne Baker can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0407 958 181.
- The Darwin and Alice Springs Interim Employment Facilitator, Michelle Burgess can be contacted at email@example.com or on
0417 865 330
Entrepreneurship Facilitators provide practical assistance to support and encourage individuals to start a business as a way to create their own job. They offer free mentoring and business support, engage with relevant community organisations to increase community awareness of the opportunities available through self-employment, and refer Australians to the most appropriate assistance available to them in the region.
- Based in Newcastle and Hunter, Cheryl Royle can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0429 061 668.
- The North and North Western Tasmania Employment Facilitator, James McCormack, can be contacted at TasmaniaFacilitator@bigpond.com or on 0428 299 262.
- The Hobart and Southern Tasmania Interim Employment Facilitator, David Orchard can be contacted at David.Orchard@dese.gov.au.
New South Wales Government retrenched worker assistance
The NSW Government offers retrenched workers with training assistance. To find out more visit the Training Services NSW website.
Victorian Government retrenched worker assistance
The Victorian Government also offers support to assist retrenched workers back into work or education:
- Visit the Victorian Skills Gateway website
- Visit the Help for Retrenched Workers website
- Visit the Jobs Victoria website
- Visit the Back to Work Scheme website
Skills and Jobs Centres
Based in TAFEs across Victoria, Skills and Jobs Centres provide expert advice on training and employment opportunities, including careers advice, help with job searching and assistance preparing resumes. To find your nearest centre, visit the Skills and Jobs Centres website.
Queensland Government retrenched worker assistance
Queensland Skills Gateway
Visit the Queensland Skills Gateway to find a training course, training provider, occupation information and check what training is government subsidised.
South Australian Government retrenched worker assistance
Skills and Employment Infoline
The South Australian Government has a Skilled Careers website to help you find information on careers, jobs and training:
- visit the Skills SA website
Western Australian Government retrenched worker assistance
Jobs and Skills Centres
Western Australia's TAFE Jobs and Skills Centres are one-stop shops for careers, training and employment advice and assistance. Services are free, and accessible to all members of the community. The centres are located on TAFE campuses, with additional outreach locations for regional areas.
Each of the centres can provide free professional and practical advice on training and employment opportunities including careers advice, apprenticeship and training information.
Tasmanian Government retrenched worker assistance
Rapid Response Skills Initiative
The Tasmanian Government provides financial support for training to people who have lost their jobs because they have been made redundant, the place they worked has closed or had to let staff go.
For more information: