Losing your job can be a difficult experience with many issues to consider. This page provides information for retrenched workers on the support and services available in Victoria.


Services for retrenched workers

Department of Human Services – Centrelink

For support while you look for work, visit the retrenched workers website.

For a list of Centrelink Customer Service Centres in Victoria, visit the Payment and Service Finder website.


If you have lost your job you could be eligible to receive help from jobactive. jobactive is the Australian Government’s employment service, designed to meet the needs of job seekers and employers and improve job outcomes.

jobactive can provide you with tailored help to find a job and is delivered by jobactive providers located around Australia. The help available includes:

  • help looking for work, writing a résumé and preparing for interviews
  • referrals to jobs in your local area
  • training that is suited to the skills that local employers need
  • case management so that you are ready to take up and keep a job

Your jobactive provider can also provide access to resources to help with your job search including the internet, printers and newspapers.

To view a factsheet on the support available for retrenched workers, visit the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business website.

For more information, including a full listing of jobactive providers in your area:

  • Call the Employment Services Information Line on 13 62 68
  • Visit the Jobsearch website

Stronger Transitions

If you have recently been retrenched, and you or the company you worked for is located in Melbourne North or West, then you may be able to receive extra support through the Stronger Transitions package.

Stronger Transitions is the Australian Government’s initiative to help retrenched workers in the region get back into the workforce.

You can access a select range of services including:

  • a comprehensive skills assessment, to help identify how your skills might transfer to different industries,
  • immediate financial support to relocate for work via the Relocation Assistance To Take Up a Job Programme,
  • help with writing or updating a resume and preparing for interviews and
  • Business training, income support and a mentor to help you pursue small business opportunities via the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS).

Contact your jobactive provider, local Employment Facilitator, or visit the Stronger Transitions website to find out more on the Stronger Transitions package.

Employment Facilitators

Employment Facilitators are an on-the-ground presence that work with retrenched workers to connect them with job opportunities, training and other existing services. Currently, three Employment Facilitators are located in Victoria, in Melbourne West and North West, Gippsland and Geelong.

For more information, visit the Employment Facilitators website or contact the facilitators to find out how they can help you.

Structural adjustment programmes

If you have been retrenched from the automotive industry then you may be able to receive extra support. Fact Sheets are available on the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business website.

To be eligible for support a job seeker must register with a jobactive provider no earlier than three months prior to their redundancy exit date and no later than six months after their redundancy exit date.

For more information about the support available through the Structural Adjustment Programmes, contact Centrelink or visit your local jobactive provider.

Victorian Government retrenched worker assistance

The Victorian Government also offers support to assist retrenched workers back into work or education:

Skills and Jobs Centres

Based in TAFEs across Victoria, Skills and Jobs Centres provide expert advice on training and employment opportunities, including careers advice, help with job searching and assistance preparing resumes. To find your nearest centre, visit the Skills and Jobs Centres website.

Money management

Financial Counselling Australia

Financial Counselling Australia can link you to financial counsellors in your area.


Centrelink provides a free Financial Information Service with no restrictions on eligibility.


MoneySmart offers tips and tools to help make the most of your finances, including how to manage your money, or deal with credit, debt or other financial issues.

Computer and general work skills

Language, literacy and numeracy support

The Reading Writing Hotline is Australia’s national telephone adult literacy and numeracy referral service and provides support for students.

Many vocational education and training providers also provide bridging courses to support students with their language and literacy skills. For more information visit the My Skills website.

Computer and internet training

To learn how to use the internet you may like to visit your local council or library who may offer training opportunities.

Adult Learning Australia can link you to training providers in your area.

Career Transition Assistance program

You may be eligible for the Career Transition Assistance program that helps participants gain the contemporary skills they need to move into ongoing employment. (Please note that from 2 July 2018, Career Transition Assistance will be trialed in five Employment Regions across Australia, ahead of a national rollout from July 2019: Victoria’s trial region is Ballarat).

For more information, see the Career Transition Assistance website.

Health, wellbeing and personal support services

Relationships Australia Victoria

Relationships Australia Victoria provides relationship support services for individuals, families and communities in Victoria.


beyondblue provides information and a referral service for those who may be experiencing depression, anxiety or substance abuse. 


Lifeline is a free, confidential telephone helpline that provides crisis counselling and offers support regarding mental health and wellbeing.


MensLine Australia is a professional telephone and online support and information service for Australian men.


MindSpot is an online and telephone clinic providing free assessment and treatment services for Australian adults with anxiety or depression.


MoodGYM is an interactive web programme designed to help prevent depression. It consists of five modules, an interactive game, anxiety and depression assessments, downloadable relaxation audio, a workbook and feedback assessment.

The Black Dog Institute

The Black Dog Institute is a not-for-profit organisation focusing on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder.


The National Gambling Helpline

The National Gambling Helpline can help you with problem gambling.

Other gambling assistance

Support services:


Quitline is a confidential free telephone service for people who want to quit smoking.


For online healthy living tips and advice on getting and staying active visit:

Support for children and young people

Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline provides a free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25.


Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation for 12 to 25 year olds. Headspace provides information and support for young people, as well as parents and carers who are concerned about their children.